Friday 15 July 2011

Reflections

Blogs, Twitter, RSS feeds, Pushnote, Google Reader and my "brand".  CPD23 Things has brought all these things into my focus over the past 4 weeks, and given me the opportunity not only to learn more about them, but also to think about their relevance from a professional perspective.
I'm finding that I quite like writing blog entries, especially when there is a purpose.  But the real benefit has been meeting some interesting people through blog comments, which gives an extra dimension to the value of blogs.  This is an area I would like to develop, because I often find myself wanting to make a comment, but then find it difficult to focus my thoughts succinctly.  So that's one challenge for me to carry forward.
Being made to think about my "brand" has been another valuable exercise that has come out of the assignments, and it's been reassuring to realise that I can have control over it.  Indeed, it's imperative that I do take control, and use the tools available to create the impression I desire.  Becoming aware of how others, including prospective employers, are using the Web to find out about people, and also seeing how well others portray themselves through their web presence, is making me realise just how useful a web presence can be.  So another challenge will be to reflect, and act, on developing my presence.  Investigating LinkedIn more thoroughly will be a good first step.
Using tools like blogs, twitter, RSS feeds and Google Reader has suddenly made keeping abreast of what's happening elsewhere in the profession, and wider, much easier.  There's a lot of interesting news/material available, and two actions immediately spring to mind as a result.  One, I must be realistic as to how much time I spend looking at these; and, two, it is really important to use headings wisely, if you want others to read further.  Give the reader a reason to linger, otherwise their eyes will just move on down to the next entry.  Others have commented on this, and I agree.  It's just so important to know what the entry is about.
I haven't been able to initiate any changes in my work place yet, as a result of what I've learnt, but I have been able to pass on some ideas that might percolate into actions in the future.  I am hopeful, and in the meantime I am enjoying the process and looking forward to further Things.

No comments:

Post a Comment