Thursday 28 July 2011

Keeping track of what I'm up to

Yet again 23 Things is giving me the opportunity to look at features I hadn't previously taken the time to do so.  The Google suite has a wide range of products, but as I'm not a person who goes looking for the sake of looking, it's only when someone says, "Hey look at this, you can use it to do this" and makes it relevant that I'll give it my attention.
My initial thoughts about Google calendar.   Well it is certainly easy to work with, and I liked features such as the weather forecast and the phases of the moon.
Will I use it?  Probably not, as it would just be yet another thing I would need to remember to check.  My work Outlook calendar is sufficient for my job.  It's there in front of me, and my colleagues in the organisation are able to access it.  As for my personal life, I am happy with my current (non-online) method of keeping track of what I have planned, and it works for me.  As for letting others know what I'm doing, I'd rather tell them and they can put it in their calendars/diaries if it's important to them.
It was interesting to see how libraries are using Google calendar, and good to know the tool is available.

3 comments:

  1. I am glad that you currently have a system that works for you.

    In response to "it would just be yet another thing I would need to remember to check": Do you check your email often? As with Outlook, you can set reminders (or pop-up alerts) to help you keep track of what is coming up. It may be a bit overwhelming if you schedule everything.

    I see no reason for you to switch to Google calendar, however, since you already have system you are happy with.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can only use Outlook calendar for work, but I'm hoping I'll have access to Google calendars. My theory (if I can keep it up) is to try to use it for home. I currently have to organise events at work, which will often happen at weekends when I'll have to go into work for overtime/TOIL, etc. The last thing I want to do is say I can attend and then realise I've something important at home organised. I have a terrible habit of filling in the kitchen calendar and not my diary!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Student4Life for the tip about setting up alerts. I hadn't explored deep enough to discover this feature, so I appreciate you mentioning it.

    ReplyDelete