Friday 22 July 2011

Networking

I've just been away for two days attending a meeting with fellow librarians, so this Thing is very timely.  Face-to-face networking is very enjoyable, and highly beneficial.
As far as professional organisations are concerned, I have been a member of LIANZA (Library and Information Association of New Zealand Aotearoa) since my Library School days, back in the early 80s.  I joined as I felt it was important to belong to a professional group, not only for my own benefit, but to support the work the Association was doing on the profession's behalf.
And they do do some great work, both on a national and regional level.  Conferences are organised annually, and if you can't attend, many of the papers and proceedings are posted on the website for reference.  There are a host of other resources available on the website too, which I've found useful e.g. information on professional registration; copyright; a reader's advisory forum, etc.
Professional development training courses are also organised by LIANZA and offered at various venues around the company, and it's great to have the opportunity to take advantage of these.  The most recent course I attended was on Leadership in times of change, so the training provided is very relevant to the profession today.
The regional committees also do a great job, or at least the Otago/Southland committee certainly does.  They offer activities on a regular basis, and while I am not a regular supporter of these (the topic doesn't always interest me, and sometimes there just aren't enough hours in a day) those I have attended have been good value.  And of course, they offer the opportunity for face-to-face networking, often over a glass of wine and some nibbles (always a good incentive to turn up).

No comments:

Post a Comment