Saturday 3 September 2011

Speaking out

Personally I use every opportunity I can in my day-to-day conversations to promote the library.  All too often I find people are just unaware of what the library offers, and how the resources/services could benefit them.
When I write activity reports for management and council I try to include the benefits to the community of any activities, resources or services.  I believe it is important to do this, as the library is just one of many council-run facilities which are funded by rate payers, and councillors are always looking to trim budgets to keep rates down.  If they can't see how the library is relevant to the community they serve we just make ourselves easy targets for budget cuts.
At Dunedin Public all job descriptions have a marketing component in them, as it is recognized that all staff have a role in the promotion of the library.
Friends of the Library groups are also valuable for advocacy, especially in situations when library staff can't speak out themselves as that would put them in conflict with their employers.
Professional associations like LIANZA also play a leading role in advocacy.  Currently there is a campaign, here in New Zealand, promoting the idea that Public Libraries should be free for all, and LIANZA is at the forefront of that.

No comments:

Post a Comment