Saturday 3 September 2011

Events - being there in some capacity

Library conferences are great for networking opportunities, getting exposure to new ideas, and getting a glimpse of the BIG picture, and I have been fortunate to attend a few.  They are pretty full-on events, and it is important to take time out to reflect on what you've been hearing and experiencing.
Guess it goes without saying that reflective practice should take place with any event attended.

I have presented sessions at Weekend Library Schools and Library Assistant Days.  Having been through Toastmasters has been a great help with my presentation skills.  They really set you up with the appropriate skills and you have fun doing it.
My top 3 rules would be
  1. Be prepared
  2. Have a Plan B if/when the technology fails
  3. Keep a sense of humour
The same goes for any training event, and I've organised a few of those.  Mainly in-house, presenting packages on library resources e.g. databases, aspects of a new LMS, etc which I've developed myself.  I quite enjoy this aspect of my job, and it is an area that has potential to be taken further.  

No comments:

Post a Comment