Thursday 5 July 2012

RSS, Newsreaders, Podcasts

The BBC summary on what is RSS was excellent. I have been using the web-based Google reader, which allows me access from where-ever I am, as long as I remember to log in to it, and check what new content has been added.  It was useful to learn of the browser-based News Readers.  I can see the usefulness of these, as they are there on the desktop (in either a folder or in Favourites) when you log in to your computer i.e. you don't have to log-in separately like you do with a web-based reader.  Both have their place.
Practising adding different RSS feeds was useful as it demonstrated the different ways one can do this.  I was able to add the Radio NZ feed by copying and pasting the URL, but this method didn't work with the Christchurch City Libraries Blog.  There I had to click on the "Subscribe to this feed" link.  Then it not only got added to my list in Google Reader, but it also appeared in my Feeds folder under Favourites on my desktop.
Learning how to unsubscribe from feeds was particularly useful.  As the notes say, at the start one tends to be very enthusiastic and subscribe to everything that looks remotely interesting, and then one gets overwhelmed.  I now have a much more manageable list of subscribed to feeds, thanks to this lesson.

I have been going into the Community of Practice and reading the discussions on the various sessions that were posted in previous courses.  They are very interesting and I always seem to pick up additional information, or perhaps it's just information I missed the first time round.  While reading the comments about RSS feeds I learnt how to add a feed subscription to this blog, which you will see I've done.  Isn't it great how all these things work in with each other.

I had recently compiled a topic finder on Podcasts for Dunedin Public Libraries website, so I just had a quick look at the Podcasts information.

It was interesting having a more in-depth look at Google Reader in the Extend section of the lesson.  Under 'Browse for stuff" I learnt about "bundles", where you can subscribe to pre-packaged bundles of feeds.  This could be a good way to compare various sites dealing with the same subject.
What I liked most about the search by keyword feature was that it told you how many posts per week you could expect.  As much as I love funny cats, receiving 129.5 posts a week seems a bit excessive to me.
Explore Recommended Items, sorted by magic, and apparently based on my past reading behaviour threw up some interesting articles.  I wonder what I'd been looking at that Google thought I'd be interested in using tennis balls around the home!

No comments:

Post a Comment