Tuesday 16 August 2011

Working and sharing online

Another week, and more new things to learn about - great.  First up, Google docs - another one of those tools I was aware existed, but hadn't taken the time to explore fully, so I was more than happy to have the excuse to do so.  Like other Google products it's very intuitive to use, and I can see the potential for online collaboration and file sharing.  I have experienced the nightmare of multiple drafts, so it's great to be able to move on from that scenario.
Dropbox was completely new to me, and I thought Jennifer had written a clear explanation.  It too has potential, but I chose not to download it at this stage.  Good to know it exists, but until I have a purpose for which to use it, it would just be cluttering up my desktop.
Wikis are something I have had previous experience with, as Dunedin Public Libraries set up an in-house wiki as a resource to store all relevant information helpful for frontline staff to know.  Whenever an email came out outlining a change to procedure or a new process, it was easy to copy and paste the content into a new wiki article, tag it, and voila! there it was available for all staff to refer back to. As well as these entries it also has links to useful documents (like the Snow Policy, which given the weather of the last couple of days I'm sure has been referred to).  A very handy resource.

No comments:

Post a Comment